820 Center Street, Marysville, KS 66508
Daily matinees at 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm
Evening showings at 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm
Box office opens 30 minutes before first show
Just North of Hwy. 36 on 20th Street, Marysville, KS 66508
Lakeview Sports Complex boasts three ball fields perfect for leagues or tournaments.
201 South 9th St., Marysville, KS 66508
The Marshall County Arts Cooperative manages the Lee Dam Center for Fine Art, hosting monthly art exhibitions and other arts-related events at the center. It is available to rent for private parties
and special occasions. Frequent activities include workshops, visiting exhibits, concerts, performances and community events.
Thursday 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sunday 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
The building was built in 1903 and was the location of the Methodist Church until approximately 1958. The building sat empty for a few years until the Marshall County News purchased the building for storage. Eventually, Lee and Betty Dam purchased the building for their sewing machine business. When Mr. Dam passed away, Mrs. Dam donated the building to the City of Marysville with the stipulation it be used for the arts.
After the building was donated, the Marysville Area Friends of the Arts worked hard to turn it into a cultural attraction. Donations by various groups, businesses, trusts, and individuals as well as grants, helped with the costly repair and remodeling bills. Nearly ten years ago, when the Marysville Area Friends of the Arts disbanded, the City of Marysville entered into a contract with the Marshall County Arts Cooperative to manage the building.
From Broadway, 3/4 mile south on U.S. 77 (10th), 1 1/2 miles east then north then west (under U.S. 77,
across railroad tracks), continue north, the before going under an overpass, turn west into the park.
Eight historic trails crossed Marshall County: Oregon Trail, Overland Trail, Pony Express route,
Military Trail, Mormon Trail, Otoe-Missouria Trail, St. Joseph-California Trail, and Pike’s Peak-California Trail.
Interpretive signs and a map explains each route.
A replica rope ferry shows what trail travelers used to cross the Big Blue River. A rope crossed the
river above the ferry, which rode a pulley back and forth. By turning the wheel, another rope would
shift the ferry into or away from the swift river current pushing the ferry across the river.
7th & Broadway, Marysville, KS 66508
This 1985 Richard Bergen bronze sculpture is the largest sculpture of its kind in the Midwest. It
portrays the first Pony Express rider, Jack Kectley, carrying the mail west from Marysville, which he
did on April 3, 1860, on the initial run to Sacramento, California. The plaque recounts that the Pony
Express lasted just 18 months and in the 650,000 miles that riders traveled during that time, only
one rider was killed, one rider lost, and only one schedule not completed. The sculpture was made
possible by the R.L. and Elsa Helvering Trust and dedicated by Gov. John Carlin on July 4, 1985,
the 125th anniversary celebration of the Pony Express.
912 Broadway, Marysville, KS 66508
Enjoy a nationally-recognized collection of dolls, Indians, toys and history, stretching from antique to the present time
and all appearing in storytelling antics. Hundreds of dolls are on display, made from china, bisque, wax, wood, composition,
papier mache, and even sculpty clay. Indian artifacts, mostly from the Otoe-Missouria tribes of this area, are also abundant.
Other artifacts include antique toys, miniatures, carriages, old rocking horses, pedal toys, a mobo horse, and doll houses.
Artists dolls include Ravca, Robert von Essen, Lawton, Kish, Patricia Rose, Yolanda Bello, Pat Bomar, Jan Hagara, Himstedt,
Jan McLean and many others.
The museum is housed in a turn of the century brick building on historic Broadway in Downtown Marysville, Kansas.
It is on the ground-level, handicap accessible, and open year-round by appointment. To arrange a tour, call Lois at 785-713-2226.
106 South 8th, Marysville, KS 66508
Summer Months (April – October):
Monday-Saturday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Winter months: By Appointment Only
Marysville’s proud heritage features the Home Station No. 1 on the Pony Express route. Despite running just 18 months, the Pony Express has become a part of American lore.
Between April 1860 and October 1861, riders traveled day and night through all conditions to carry letters from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California, and back. This usually took ten days with riders changing horses every 12 to 15 miles. Each rider would ride 75 to 100 miles before turning the mail in a mochila over to a new rider at one of the 40 “home stations” along the route.
The home station in Marysville, a stone barn built by Joseph Cottrell in 1859, was leased to the Pony Express in 1860. Cottrell kept his blacksmith shop in the barn. The barn is still standing and is now a museum. The riders likely slept at the nearby Barrett Hotel, located where Ar-Ex Drug Store is today.
The first westbound rider left St. Joseph, Missouri early in the evening on April 3, 1860, arriving in Marysville the next morning. Historians differ as to his identity, but local tradition says his name was Johnny Fry. The mail was carried in a mochila which fit over the saddle and could not be removed unless the rider dismounted. It had four mail pockets called cantinas, which were always locked during the ride. The rider took the mochila off one mount and quickly put it over the saddle of the next. Two minutes were allowed for changing horses.
Sending mail by Pony Express was very expensive. The original charge was $5.00 an ounce and 5 cents for every additional ounce. Later the charges were reduced to $1.00 per ounce. In 1860 the telegraph was completed across the continent, providing a cheaper and much quicker method of communication than letters carried by fast pony. The Pony Express came to an end, but its legend and legacy live on.
The museum in Marysville’s Home Station No. 1 consists of the original stable, now the oldest building in Marshall County, and an annex added in 1991 which matches its architectural style. The museum’s exhibits have been expanded to include trails and railroads, emphasizing Marysville’s wider historic importance as a transportation hub.
In June of each year, the National Pony Express Association sponsors a Pony Express Re-Ride from Sacramento, CA to St. Joseph, MO. Each year they alternate the direction of the re-ride, traveling East or West. More than 550 riders and horses are posted at intervals to take turns carrying the mail. Each rider takes an oath similar to the riders in 1860-1861 and is issued a Bible in the tradition of Russell, Majors and Waddell, the operators of the Pony Express.
18th & Carolina, Marysville, KS 66508
The Marshall County Veterans Memorial honors Marshall Countians who served in our nation’s military. The Memorial features an octagon-shaped wall with the names and service information of Marshall County veterans lining the inside of the wall. A smaller octagon-shaped wall in the middle honors those Marshall County veterans killed or missing in action.
The project was funded through the purchase of plaques for the Memorial wall, as well as through donations from various businesses and veteran service organizations. Today there are more than 2,100 names on the Memorial and it continues to grow each year. The Memorial is a lasting tribute to those Marshall County veterans who answered their country’s call and served honorably, some giving the ultimate sacrifice.
1207 Broadway, Marysville, KS 66508
This 1891 building served as Marshall County’s courthouse for nearly 90 years. In the 1970s county officials built a new courthouse next door and in 1979 deeded the old courthouse to The Marshall County Historical Society. Since that time, more than $200,000 has been spent to preserve and maintain it. Funds have come from grants, donations, and a trust fund set up by Historical Society members.
In the first years of Historical Society ownership, the building continued to house some county offices, as well as business tenants. Over time, the rooms were converted to display the growing collection of county history artifacts. The museum gradually expanded to the current 21 display rooms. The building has several storage vaults with cast-iron doors and interior iron shutters. The courtroom is used for weddings, plays, mock trials, and meetings.